Online only

Body

El Reno Public Schools Superintendent Craig McVay knows parents and guardians are anxious to hear about the plan to educate the district’s nearly 3,000 students during the COVID-19 outbreak.

However, as of Thursday, McVay and the rest of the district’s leadership team was still waiting on the Oklahoma State Department of Education to release its mandated framework so El Reno could begin formulating a plan.

Doors will remain locked on the district's STEM Center

City follows state lead with updated emergency plan, closures

Body

If you didn’t get a haircut before Thursday, you may be waiting awhile.

Gov. Kevin Stitt issued a state of emergency last week closing businesses considered non-essential. The order went into effect at midnight Wednesday.

On Wednesday, El Reno issued its own state of emergency, updated from an earlier one proclaimed on March 16.

In the local order, adults over the age of 65 or with underlying health conditions are ordered to stay home, only going out when absolutely necessary for groceries, gas or work in critical infrastructure jobs.

Martinez of Route 66 Liquor waits on Combs

ERPS meals to remain daily, extended hours

Body

The Oklahoma State Department of Education reports 61 percent of students across the state qualify for either free or reduced lunches, but that number is closer to 80 percent for El Reno Public Schools.

Due to the higher number, El Reno has opted to keep its current delivery method for meals during the COVID-19 outbreak instead of following OSDE recommendations to limit exposure between schools and students for meals.

Wedman hands out lunch to a student

White says city following guidelines to combat virus

Body

While COVID-19 has spread pain to every sector of the nation, it has also helped create rumors that El Reno city officials said need to be put to rest.

Mayor and Acting City Manager Matt White said the city is doing its best to follow federal and state guidelines intended to help keep the public safe and hopefully “bend the curve” of the coronavirus.

Some on social media have claimed “big government” is stepping in to take over daily life. Some have suggested there will soon be the need to have a permit to drive a car. White said this isn’t true.

Empty playground equipment
Subscribe to