El Reno police are recommending charges be filed against three teens in connection with the alleged assault of a junior high student.
The information has been presented to the Canadian County District Attorney’s Office.
Major Kirk Dickerson said police are seeking charges of lewd acts against a minor against two 17-year-olds, while a 16-year-old could face a charge of assault and battery.
Assistant District Attorney Justin Kim said he could not comment on the case since it involves juveniles.
“I cannot tell you if we have or have not received charges. In this case I cannot make any comments because it deals with juveniles and that information is kept confidential by law,” said Kim.
The incident in question allegedly occurred May 10 when a junior high student reported being assaulted while inside the El Reno Public Schools wrestling building. The building is the former YMCA in Adams Park.
According to a May 10 police report, an eighth-grade student alleges he was sexually assaulted by the older boys.
The father of the Etta Dale student said his family contacted El Reno High School Principal Pat Liticker as well as police the same day.
The father earlier said he wanted to tell his son’s story, but was advised by counsel not to make any further comment. Phone calls to the father made this week were not returned by press time.
The alleged incident took place during seventh hour. Students were left unsupervised for the 50-minute period when an assistant coach failed to show up for his assigned duties, said El Reno Superintendent Craig McVay. McVay said the coach is no longer employed with the district.
McVay said students were not supposed to be inside the wrestling building since there was no adult supervision on-site. He said the district’s electronic door security system showed no entry into the building during the time of the alleged assault.
McVay said the district conducted an internal investigation which yielded a video of the alleged assault from an old security system left inside the building when it was owned by the city of El Reno. McVay said the wrestling building was not on the district’s current video monitoring system like other school sites.
A copy of the video was turned over to the police. McVay said the video had been watched by as many as eight people from inside the district including Liticker and head wrestling coach Tyrone Lewis.
McVay said Lewis was in Tulsa at the time of the alleged assault on approved leave.
In the original police report, two teens were mentioned. Dickerson said the third charge against the 16-year-old was brought after a “comprehensive review of the investigation” and that the video was part of that review.
First Assistant District Attorney Eric Epplin explained the process when dealing with juveniles.
“The process for a juvenile case is they will intake it and screen it. They will review it to see if it warrants any charges. That is the general process. Charges would be brought from them to the courts. If it’s from the juvenile center, it goes before Judge Hughey," said Epplin.
Epplin would not comment as to whether the 17-year-olds face the possibility of being tried as adults if any charges were presented.
“It depends on the charge but I cannot comment any further on that,” said Epplin.